With so many things being digital these days, there is a lot of terrific information out there for businesses to get customers online. The world is quite the stage when you have the internet and finding someplace to get what you want is at the ready. Before the pandemic began watching the trajectory of online marketing was mind-blowing. Now that we have been in it for over a year and a half there are some perks to thinking about going back to good old local marketing for local shops.
What’s fueling this mindset? Have you heard of the great resignation? According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 4 million people quit their jobs in the US in just July of 2021 alone. My first question when reading that was “where did they all go?” Though many have moved to other employers who are more friendly towards their personal life goals a record number of people have decided to become entrepreneurs and start their own businesses whether in person or remotely.
So what’s the problem? We know several economic records were set in 2020 and 2021 and one of those was the number of businesses that flat out closed as well. How can we now create REAL recovery for those who had brick and mortar businesses and those who are currently doing all they can to simply survive as the pandemic treads on? Government help may have kept some afloat (if they qualified or there was not a backlog in their state) but we have to find ways to keep them above water long term. The place to start……Good old-fashioned marketing!!!! Check out the reasons why this is needed today.
- People are still spending money for now despite the projection of a downward trend to GDP growth for Q3 of 2021
- Belt-tightening is still on the menu as supply chain constraints remain so businesses must be creative with what they have or can actually obtain
- Retail hiring is still a thing. Walk around most strip malls and you’ll see several “we’re hiring” signs. You don’t have to even look at the national statistics to see this in most cities. A local/ or in-person focused marketing consultant can help you with this too
- People are burned out with online ads, meetings, work, etc. Real businesses, with real people, are appreciated. People want to get out of the house and the pandemic life routine but you have to give them creative and safe choices
- Marketing consultants who are diversified in thinking and services as a consumer, coach and marketer are the best to help you see what you can not see
Whatever your reason for seeking out new marketing techniques, remember not all consultants are created equal. Interview them just as you would a prospective employee to see if they have the unique spin on marketing and engagement you need to grow your local business before you spend money and end up regretting the decision in the long run. Marketers who do not spend time on their own emotional intelligence to stay in tune with their own awareness, as well as the awareness of others, may not be as prepared for today’s consumers as you think.